Should I Consider Bankruptcy?
Consider the questions listed below. If you answer yes to three or more of the questions, you will probably want to speak with a bankruptcy lawyer right away. We can help. For a thoughtful, caring assessment of your situation and your options and for answers to your bankruptcy questions, contact our law office today.
Questions to Consider
If you are able to answer yes to three or more of these questions, you may need to file bankruptcy. Contact us today to take advantage of a free office consultation and personalized evaluation from an honest, caring bankruptcy lawyer.
The total time for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy is approximately four months. However, the debtor receives the benefit of an automatic stay immediately after the petition is filed. The automatic stay means that creditors are generally not allowed to collect any debts from the debtor. The phone calls from creditors can end immediately.
- Is your debt over $5000, not including your car or your house?
- Are you frequently late on payments?
- Do your payments account for over 25 percent of your take home pay?
- Do you pay over 20 percent interest on your debt?
- Do you buy necessary items, such as food and clothing, on credit?
- Have you considered taking out a loan to pay other loans?
- Are you receiving harassing calls from creditors?
- Do you make regular payments without your balances going down?
- Do you have payments that are over one month behind on more than one bill?
- Are your wages being garnished?
- Are you being sued?
- Have you been turned down for credit?
- Are you frequently getting cash advances?
- Are you without any savings?
- Is your car worth more than you owe?
- Is your mortgage or rent frequently late?
- Do you have high medical bills that are not being paid by insurance?
- Do you owe income taxes you cannot pay?